U.S. online channel share expected to remain unchanged through 2026
- August 2023
- Phocuswright Research
Travel brands have benefited from investment in technological infrastructure and online booking products during the past few years, resulting in a 48% jump in online direct sales to $171.9 billion in 2022 according to Phocuswright's travel research report U.S. Travel Market Report 2022-2026. Travel suppliers are actively implementing a range of tactics to assert their market leadership in online distribution.
These strategies include:
- Distinguishing their offerings through unique content
- Expanding the perks of their loyalty programs
- Incorporating special benefits for corporate bookings made directly with them
Similarly, OTAs are equally invested in staying competitive. They are dedicated to:
- Expanding their product bases
- Revamping loyalty programs to encompass different products and brands
- Aiming to develop a more seamless customer experience Placing significant emphasis on their mobile apps to deeply engage with their customers and foster stronger relationships.
Consequently, the overall online channel share is expected to remain unchanged between 2022 and 2026. Of the $329.4 billion in projected online sales in 2026, 65% will be booked direct, versus 35% through OTAs.
This report provides a comprehensive view of the U.S. travel market, including detailed market sizing and projections, distribution trends, key developments and more. Also available in the U.S. Travel Market Report 2022-2026 series:
- U.S. Airline Market Report 2022-2026
- U.S. Hotel & Lodging Market Report 2022-2026
- U.S. Online Travel Agency Market Report 2022-2026
- U.S. Cruise Market Report 2022-2026
- U.S. Car Rental Market Report 2022-2026
- U.S. Packaged Travel Market Report 2022-2026
- U.S. Travel Market Data Sheet 2022-2026
For further intelligence for you and your entire company, subscribe to Phocuswright Open Access. This subscription puts the entire Phocuswright research library and powerful data visualization tools at your fingertips. There’s a reason executives around the world trust and reference Phocuswright research and data on a daily basis. Explore for yourself why.