APAC: Big and getting bigger
- June 2019
- Phocuswright Research
Asia Pacific (APAC) is the world's largest regional travel market. With rapid infrastructure development across airports, seaports, railroads, hotels and highways, and disposable incomes on the rise, travel opportunity continues to expand regionwide. Aggregated total gross bookings for the 13 markets covered in Phocuswright's recent travel research report, Asia Pacific Online Travel Overview 2019, reached US$418.1 billion* in 2018, up 7% year over year. Burgeoning domestic travel demand, especially in China, India, Indonesia and Malaysia, supported this growth, placing the region well ahead of both the U.S. and Europe.
These are the 5 biggest trends based on research compiled by Phocuswright analysts:
- China sets a high bar
- Transportation segments soar
- Online sales mature, channel shares to level off
- OTAs capitalize on fragmented hotel landscape
- China rallies mobile bookings, long runway ahead
Asia Pacific Online Travel Overview 2019 provides up-to-date data and analysis on the Asia Pacific (APAC) travel market, with sizing estimates and projections from 2016-2022. For in-depth, country-specific coverage on the region's largest and most influential travel markets, check out any of the following related publications:
- Australia-New Zealand Online Travel Overview 2019
- India Online Travel Overview 2019
- Japan Online Travel Overview 2019
- China Online Travel Overview 2019 (coming soon)
Phocuswright's Open Access subscribers have immediate access to the Asia Pacific Online Travel Overview report collection. Gain company-wide access to these Phocuswright publications – and the full research library – HERE.