Profile of the French traveler
- September 2023
- Phocuswright Research
Travelers in France still value travel spend highly. Despite economic challenges, travel and tourism remain a high priority purchase. While travel incidence has not yet exceeded pre-pandemic levels in the French market, both spend and frequency showed strong gains, especially among travelers over 55 according to Phocuswright’s latest travel research report France Consumer Travel 2023.
Here is a profile of the French traveler:
- The majority of French travelers started planning 1-4 months in advance.
- Over half traveled with a spouse or significant other.
- One in five had a child with them, and another one in five traveled alone.
- On average, the trips lasted 7.5 nights.
- 52% indicated that their last trip was the first time they visited that particular destination, up slightly from 47% in 2020.
- Travel was largely driven by a need to relax and spend time away with friends and family (or visit them).
- But not all travel is for leisure. Six in 10 conducted some kind of business during a trip last year, with nearly half working remotely. Younger travelers were far more likely to have been doing this.
(Click image to view a larger version.)
This report, based on a comprehensive survey of France travelers and those who plan to travel in the future, explores consumers’ trip-planning and purchasing behavior, and their attitudes toward travel in 2023 and beyond. Also, in this series (available now or coming soon):
- Germany Consumer Travel 2023
- Italy Consumer Travel 2023
- Spain Consumer Travel 2023
- U.K. Consumer Travel 2023
Research is our priority. Our Open Access research subscription puts the world’s most comprehensive library of travel research and data visualization at your fingertips.
Clients have relied on Phocuswright's deep industry knowledge for over 25 years to power great decisions, help justify a pitch, build a strategic plan and elevate any presentation through trusted research and data. When companies and executives reference Phocuswright, they gain the trust of an industry keen on data, trends and analytics.
For further intelligence for you and your entire company, subscribe to Phocuswright Open Access.