Mega investments in travel
- November 2019
- Phocuswright Research
Fueled by a healthy global online travel outlook and an abundance of investment capital chasing scalable market opportunities, funding to travel startups increased 55% year-over-year to US$5.7 billion in 2018, according to Phocuswright's latest travel research report The State of Travel Startups 2019. Nearly one-third of all funding raised since 2009 occurred in 2018.Who is making mega investments?
The investors participating in the biggest funding rounds often overlap, as potentially highly lucrative deals are coveted and exclusive to a select few.
The level of participation for each investor varies for each funding round, and individual funding amounts are often undisclosed. The below data includes publicly disclosed funding and acquisitions.
For more key findings and the full 60 slide deck featuring regional, category, vertical and horizontal analyses, purchase the report here. Specific topics include:
- Analysis by year, type, region and category
- Funding activity by stage
- Highlights of top-funded companies and the investors behind them
- The market trends driving investment
- Expanded analysis of major travel segments, business models and technologies