Join the Team: Senior Reporter, PhocusWirePhocuswright is looking for a Senior Reporter to join our PhocusWire team. You will be responsible for writing and steering our daily coverage of the global travel industry. You are expected to find and cover the most interesting developments in the market, including emerging technology innovations and their applications, strategic trends, startup funding, mergers and acquisitions, executive interviews, product launches and breaking news.
You will also support the editor in chief and news editor in shaping the wider editorial strategy of the brand and in executing other digital initiatives, such as videos, webinars, podcasts and appearances at live events.
Come join our small but dynamic team, covering the most exciting part of the travel industry: everything related to tech and digital.
Who we are:Northstar Travel Group is the largest and most trusted B2B travel media and information company in the world. At Northstar, our mission is to generate insights and inspire change in the travel, meetings and hospitality industries with thought-provoking content, impactful solutions, and engaging experiences for business leaders. We believe that travel connects us to new people, places and experiences around the world, transforming our understanding of humanity.
PhocusWire is a global, comprehensive daily news site for the digital travel industry, powered by Phocuswright (a subsidiary of Northstar Travel Group), the most respected travel research and events brand in the world.
Technology, digital marketing and distribution form the backbone of travel, tourism and hospitality, the planet's largest industry, and these topics are the foundation of PhocusWire’s coverage. We aim to be a valued resource for industry leaders and the preeminent source for coverage and analysis of the most important developments every day.
This is a remote position and is open to candidates based in the United States. We also have an office in Rutherford, New Jersey for those who favor being in an office a few days a week.
As a Senior Reporter you will:
- Demonstrate curiosity and willingness to dig up stories and to learn about new trends and technology
- Identify diverse sources and conduct meaningful interviews
- Synthesize complex details, drawing on past coverage and broader industry trends for context
- Produce accurate, relevant, engaging and clean content, generally on a daily basis
- Manage multiple assignments at once, with a mix of short- and long-term deadlines
- Generate distinctive story ideas by staying on top of industry trends and building relationships
- Collaborate with the other members of the team to brainstorm ideas for stories, new editorial products and other efforts to develop the brand
- Attend and cover industry events as necessary
- At least five years of experience as a reporter, preferably at a daily news outlet
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Superior news judgment and commitment to accuracy
- Ability to juggle multiple near-term and long-range stories and projects
- Knowledge of AP style preferred
- Familiarity with content management systems, newsletter platforms, social media and SEO techniques
- Strict ethics and dedication to high-quality journalism
- Self-organized and adept at working as part of a distributed team
- Excellent communications skills, including an ability to represent the brand at live events
- Knowledge of the travel, tourism and hospitality industry preferred
- Knowledge of issues in the wider e-commerce and technology sectors preferred
- Journalism degree preferred
What you have:
The following core competencies are expected of PhocusWire employees:Communication/teamwork
Works harmoniously with colleagues. Shares critical information, works effectively across functional lines, recognizes others for their contributions. Treats people inside and outside the company with dignity and respect.
Identifies what needs to be done and takes appropriate action. Innovates, creates and looks for solutions that will benefit the business.
Handles self professionally. Performs work in a timely manner with consistent attention to quality. Follows through and meets all commitments. Manages time and resources effectively (including attendance).
Continuous learning and improvement
Seeks out opportunities to improve skills for current responsibilities and future needs. Embraces new technology, systems and assignments. Considers feedback openly and adapts behavior as needed.
Goal-oriented. Acts with urgency. Strives for successful outcomes with external audiences.
To join our team:Please send your cover letter, resume, compensation requirements and at least one news writing sample that includes multiple sources to email@example.com. Northstar Travel Group is a great place to work, learn and grow. We seek impressive individuals to contribute fresh ideas and strengthen our team in all departments and specialties. We welcome creativity, dedication, drive and passion and offer a fast-paced and fun environment, opportunity and work/life balance. Click here to view our Careers page.
Diversity & Inclusion:
At Northstar, we believe that our workforce should reflect the vast diversity of the cultures and communities that are experienced through travel. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our team, and we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, accessible and equitable culture and workplace. Our work is far from over – we continuously push to be better. We understand that diverse voices, points of view and contributions are at the heart of Northstar’s success and impact.
In compliance with the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development we are displaying the below posters.
Federal FMLA Information
New Jersey Family Leave Insurance Information