"Your research and presentation proved to be a great investment."
Free For: Innovation Subscribers
After years of speculation about when and how mobile would impact travel, the mobile platform is now influencing every stage of the travel life cycle. Mobile is truly a global phenomenon: Smartphone usage now exceeds 50% in the U.S. and Europe, with adoption increasing rapidly in emerging markets. Mobile devices have hit the mainstream, with broad-reaching implications for travel strategy.
Mobile Hits the Mainstream: Technology and Industry Trends studies the trends shaping mobile travel worldwide, tracking mobile device adoption in key global markets. The report highlights emerging mobile technologies, identifying strategic opportunities for suppliers, intermediaries and corporate travel organizations. In addition, the research provides a closer view of the U.S. mobile travel market, sizing the U.S. mobile leisure/unmanaged business travel market through 2013.
Report topics include:
- Size of the U.S. mobile leisure/unmanaged business travel market and forecast through 2013
- Mobile bookings via suppliers versus online travel agencies
- Global smartphone and tablet adoption patterns
- Emerging mobile technologies and their applications to travel
- Mobile trends by segment (air, hotel, car rental) channel (suppliers versus OTAs) and sector (leisure versus corporate travel)
Also available: Mobile Hits the Mainstream: Leisure and Business Traveler Trends (a Global Edition publication). This report delivers an in-depth look at the accelerating impact of the mobile Internet, with a focus on how travelers use the mobile Web for travel-related activities.
Not sure this is the report for you? Contact our experts to find the research that fits your needs. +1 860 350-4084 x501
Table of Contents
Research Background and Methodology
Executive Interviews/Market Sizing
Emerging Mobile Technology
Location-Based Services, Personalization and Merchandising
Mobile Payments and NFC
Augmented Reality and Gamification
Market Sizing and the Travel Industry Outlook
U.S. Mobile Market Sizing
Mobile Trends by Segment, Channel and Sector
LIST OF TABLES
Smartphone Maturity by Market
Global Smartphone Penetration
U.S. Smartphone Ownership
Hybrid Application Development
Global Tablet Sales
Global Smartphone Adoption by Operating System
Emerging Mobile Technology
U.S. Interest in Future Mobile Internet Capabilities
Phases of Context/Personalization
NFC and the Travel Experience
Voice Recognition: Apple's Siri
Maturity Life Cycle
Mobile Sweet Spot
Usage of Mobile Within the Travel Life Cycle
U.S. Mobile Leisure/Unmanaged Business Travel Gross Bookings, 2010-2013 and Share of Online Leisure/Unmanaged Business Travel and Total Travel Markets
U.S. Mobile Leisure/Unmanaged Business Travel Gross Bookings, 2010-2013
U.S. Supplier Direct Mobile Travel Market, Share by Segment, 2010-2013
U.S. Mobile Travel Market, Share by Channel, 2011 and 2013
Travel Industry Mobile Objectives
Airline Mobile Initiatives
U.S. Air-Related Mobile Activities
Hotel Mobile Initiatives
U.S. Hotel-Related Mobile Activities
Car Rental Mobile Initiatives
OTA Mobile Initiatives
Corporate Travel Mobile Initiatives
The objectives of Mobile Hits the Mainstream include the following:
- Understand what represents true mobile innovation and who is driving it.
- Anticipate how changes in devices and networks will affect development.
- Identify nascent mobile technologies and assess their potential application to travel.
- Size the current and projected mobile travel booking volume in the U.S.
- Understand U.S. corporate and leisure traveler trends and desired services for the mobile device.
- Identify strategic opportunities for suppliers, intermediaries, corporate travel organizations and destination marketers.
The study was conducted in the second half of 2011 and consisted of two concurrent phases:
- Executive interviews/market sizing
- Consumer research
The results presented in this report are primarily based on executive interviews, supplemented with mobile data from third-party sources. To provide a more holistic view of mobile travel dynamics, selected consumer research findings are also included.