Airbnb may capture most of the media attention around home rentals for travel, but it is by no means the only store in the private accommodation marketplace. HomeAway and Booking.com have a stronger foothold in vacation destinations, while Airbnb dominates urban markets. Apartments, condos and homes represent the vast majority of rental listings, however the variations in mix – among other characteristics – across the three companies reveal important differences in their businesses.
Phocuswright's Online Rental Listings presents an analysis of nearly 237,927 online rental listings in the five largest urban and vacation rental markets for private accommodation in the U.S. Phocuswright partnered with Transparent, a leading analytics firm for private accommodation, to gather listings data from three leading online rental marketplaces: Airbnb, HomeAway and Booking.com.
- The size of the largest urban and vacation rental markets
- An assessment of the state of urban and vacation rental markets
- Key trends across the leading online rental marketplaces
- Mix variation across businesses, including inventory type, pricing, multi-unit and single-listing hosts
- How traveler reviews play a role in private accommodation
Purchase Phocuswright's Online Rental Listings for the data and analysis of paramount importance to any business operating in the private accommodations space.
Transparent collected the data for this report in the first week of August 2016.
The dataset includes the following parameters for each listing:
1. Rental site: Airbnb, HomeAway and Booking.com (Villas.com)
3. Unit Type (detached home, apartment, villa, etc.)
4. Rental Type (whole home, private room, space rental)
5. Listing Price (this is an average advertised daily price)*
6. Number of Reviews
7. Aggregate Score**
8. Number of Beds
9. Number of Rooms
10. Listing Date
* Listing price includes all fees for Airbnb by an estimated daily cleaning fee and an estimated daily service fee as well as taxes when applicable. Transparent currently does not include fee estimates for HomeAway.
** Review scores on Booking.com are on a 10-point scale, while reviews on Airbnb and HomeAway are on a five-point scale. Phocuswright has normalized the Booking.com score for a like comparison across all three platforms.