Director of Research
Northstar Travel Group is the largest and most trusted B2B travel media and information company in the world. At Northstar, our mission is to generate insights and inspire change in the travel, meetings and hospitality industries with thought-provoking content, impactful solutions, and engaging experiences for business leaders. We believe that travel connects us to new people, places and experiences around the world, transforming our understanding of humanity.
We are looking for a Director of Research to join our Phocuswright team. Phocuswright is a globally renowned research company with a deep focus on the travel industry. Phocuswright’ s portfolio of clients spans the travel ecosystem, and our research is often cited by leading publications across the globe. You will be a key leader within Phocuswright’s research team and will grow the travel research and insights practice.
You will lead consumer and market insights for a range of initiatives, manage a team of analysts and have end-to-end responsibility for designing, organizing and delivering high-quality research projects in a timely manner. You will also undertake speaking engagements presenting research, moderating panels or interviewing executives in online and in-person forums. You will be a trusted source of data and insights among the Phocuswright analyst community and the travel industry at large.
Qualified candidates have extensive market research experience and can manage a high-performing team of researchers while also being hands-on with projects. You must have excellent communication skills, be comfortable interacting with clients at all levels and presenting in front of large audiences. You should be eager to delve into the latest trends and technologies that are shaping the travel industry. Travel, tourism and/or hospitality experience is a plus.
This is a remote position and is open to candidates based in the United States. We also have an office in Rutherford, New Jersey for those who favor being in an office a few days a week.
What You’ll Do
- Translate business problems and questions into actionable research plans for B2B and consumer research projects
- Distill insights into easy-to-understand narratives and recommendations
- Manage a team of research analysts on a day-to-day basis
- Guide the team on formulating and validating hypotheses, designing surveys and interview guides, transforming data into insights/recommendations and, preparing and presenting compelling deliverables
- Supervise and ensure timely delivery of high-quality projects
- Contribute to Phocuswright’s market sizing and forecasting process
- Write and review articles and reports on current topics
- Collaborate with external experts and analysts, cultivate and share expertise with stakeholders
- Assist the sales team in outlining research objectives based on internal and client goals, define project scopes, recommend appropriate approaches and methodology, develop proposals and cost estimates
- Help develop conference/event programming and content sessions
- Contribute to improving operational efficiencies and innovating products
- Liaise with other Phocuswright and Northstar Travel brands to support the overall growth of the business
Who You Are
- 5+ years’ experience in consumer insights or market research
- Team leadership/management experience
- Intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn new things
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, solid analytical ability and meticulous attention to detail
- Adept at organizing ideas, structuring content, linking insights to strategy and creating narratives
- Strong team orientation
- Experience in travel and tourism research or work experience in the travel industry
- Experience public speaking conference presentations, webinars, interviews, panel moderation
- Research operations or project management knowledge/experience
To Join Our Team:
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Northstar Travel Group is a great place to work, learn and grow. We seek impressive individuals to contribute fresh ideas and strengthen our team in all departments and specialties. We welcome creativity, dedication, drive and passion and offer a fast-paced and fun environment, opportunity and work/life balance. Click here to view our Careers page.
Diversity & Inclusion:
At Northstar, we believe that our workforce should reflect the vast diversity of the cultures and communities that are experienced through travel. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our team, and we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, accessible and equitable culture and workplace. Our work is far from over – we continuously push to be better. We understand that diverse voices, points of view and contributions are at the heart of Northstar’s success and impact.
Our Response to Covid-19:
All Northstar new hires, as well as existing employees who attend events and/or come into contact with other employees, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and demonstrate documentation toward the same.
In compliance with the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development we are displaying the below posters.