After years of speculation about when and how mobile would impact travel, the mobile platform is now influencing every stage of the travel life cycle. Mobile is truly a global phenomenon: Smartphone usage now exceeds 50% in the U.S. and Europe, with adoption increasing rapidly in emerging markets. Mobile devices have hit the mainstream, with broad-reaching implications for travel strategy.
Mobile Hits the Mainstream: Technology and Industry Trends studies the trends shaping mobile travel worldwide, tracking mobile device adoption in key global markets. The report highlights emerging mobile technologies, identifying strategic opportunities for suppliers, intermediaries and corporate travel organizations. In addition, the research provides a closer view of the U.S. mobile travel market, sizing the U.S. mobile leisure/unmanaged business travel market through 2013.
Report topics include:
- Size of the U.S. mobile leisure/unmanaged business travel market and forecast through 2013
- Mobile bookings via suppliers versus online travel agencies
- Global smartphone and tablet adoption patterns
- Emerging mobile technologies and their applications to travel
- Mobile trends by segment (air, hotel, car rental) channel (suppliers versus OTAs) and sector (leisure versus corporate travel)
As mobile technology continues to evolve, travel companies struggle to remain current with quickly changing traveler expectations and development best practices. Phocuswright's Mobile Hits the Mainstream: Technology and Industry Trends sets the bar for mobile innovation, identifying key opportunities at every stage of the travel value chain.
Also available: Mobile Hits the Mainstream: Leisure and Business Traveler Trends (a Global Edition publication). This report delivers an in-depth look at the accelerating impact of the mobile Internet, with a focus on how travelers use the mobile Web for travel-related activities.
Not sure this is the report for you? Contact our experts to find the research that fits your needs. +1 860 350-4084 x501
- Key Findings
- Research Background and Methodology
- Executive Interviews/ Market Sizing
- Mobile Overview
- Smartphone Adoption
- Mobile Development
- Key Innovators: Apple, Google Lead the Pack
- Emerging Mobile Technology
- Location-Based Services, Personalization and Merchandising
- Social Media
- Mobile Payments and NFC
- QR Codes
- Voice Recognition
- Augmented Reality and Gamification
- Market Sizing and the Travel Industry Outlook
- Mobile Market Sizing
- Mobile Trends by Segment, Channel and Sector
- Car Rental
- Online Travel Agencies
- Corporate Travel
The objectives of Mobile Hits the Mainstream include the following:
- Understand what represents true mobile innovation and who is driving it.
- Anticipate how changes in devices and networks will affect development.
- Identify nascent mobile technologies and assess their potential application to travel.
- Size the current and projected mobile travel booking volume in the U.S.
- Understand U.S. corporate and leisure traveler trends and desired services for the mobile device.
- Identify strategic opportunities for suppliers, intermediaries, corporate travel organizations and destination marketers.
The study was conducted in the second half of 2011 and consisted of two concurrent phases:
- Executive interviews/market sizing
- Consumer research
The results presented in this report are primarily based on executive interviews, supplemented with mobile data from third-party sources. To provide a more holistic view of mobile travel dynamics, selected consumer research findings are also included.